Posted by Sarah on June 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Diet Can Protect Your Heart!
Dietary priorities associated with cardio protective benefits
- The Mediterranian diet supplemented with oliveoil or mixed nuts significantly reduced MI (heart attack) compared to the controldiet group who was simply advised to reduce dietary fat.
- This study found that a diet richin fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy, and small amounts of saturated fat,significantly lowered blood pressure.
- In prediabetic patients,lifestyle surpassed metformin.
- A combination of drugs, diet, and exercise are proven to reduce risk of heartattack. Bypass, and angioplasty are not.
- The first line strategy to prevent heart disease should be lifestyle- poor diet year habits, physical activity, smoking lead toheart disease
Exercise pill: fact or fiction
- Is an exercise pill Cost effective?- nope
- Adaptive effects to prevent chronic diseases-maybe?
- Does an exercise pill not have unhealthy sideeffects?- testosterone has performance benefits however, it is not an exercisepill because of the host of unhealthy side effects that do not mimic exercise.
- Does an exercise pill decrease mortality rate?
- Is it ethical?
- Exercise pill types
- Gw1516- This pill changes muscle genes but nottheir endurance. Additionally, you have to exercise for it to work. The goal is not to develop a replacement to exercise, but to develop drugs to help those who are unable to exercise. Only cardiorespiratory fitness can be helped by this pill,but none of the other host of things that exercise helps can be helped by thispill.
- It is unlikely that a single exercise pill willever supplement all of the benefits of regular exercise.
- 97 out of 100 of adults do not get 30 or more minutes of moderate exercise a day.
- Transcriptome reductions (genetic component) canlead to reduced motivation to be physically active... but you can change the expression of your genes.